Sunday, January 20, 2013

FOLLOW : Step One ~ My GPS

 Hey sweet friend! Welcome!
 
So, it seems like my One Word 2013 quest is taking me on a step-by-step journey. At least so far. It's only 20 days into this new year, and I've already learned the first two steps. 


I don't know whether to -
a. be excited that I'm learning so quickly
b. be worried that at this rate there will be 17.8 lessons to learn this year
   {at a rate of two for every 20 days}
c. both of the above

When I first felt that the Lord was leading me to choose follow as my word for this year, I pictured Him leading me by giving me answers to where I'm headed at this point in my life.

Kinda like my very own heavenly GPS.

You see I have all these questions about life as a fifty-something, empty-nester,  full-time working, married woman.

~ What is my purpose?
~ etsy shop? no esty shop?
~ Start going to women's Bible study? Do home Bible study? Start a Bible study at work?
~ Keep blogging? Stop blogging? Combine my blogs into one?
~ I love teaching the four year old class every Sunday... am I doing OK? should I teach a different age?
~ What will be my legacy? 

Oh so many questions and no idea which way to go.

"We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but God's purpose prevails."
 Proverbs 19:21 (The Message)

Here is how this wonderful GPS would work:
I'm still holding onto my dream of one day opening my etsy shop.

So, I plug-in (prayer) my heavenly GPS, enter my directions (my ideas/options) and whaa-laa!!
Up pops the "map" to accomplishing that goal.

Step-by-step and turn-by-turn directions.
I'm given the amount of  time this will take. And maybe even an alternate route.
I can even calculate the gas mileage expenses.

And hey, since I prayed first than I must be "following" as I go on my merry way.
Oh silly me.





Yea, well that's not what this quest is gonna be about. I can tell you that right now.

The reality of my first lesson is:

I need to stop.

Stop thinking I'll find my way via ......
...... online devotionals
...... an Andy Stanley podcast
...... a Beth Moore CD
...... women's Bible study at church

All these things are great!
{LOVE listening to Andy and Beth}
However, that's not how I'll find my way.


And I need to start.

Start taking time every day to ......
...... read my Bible
...... read the book and do the companion Bible study the Lord led me to purchase
...... pray more

Ah that last one. Pray.
Not the "God bless my day" as I'm brushing my teeth prayer.

No. It's more like the sitting still (oh so very hard to do for any length of time)
with the door shut,
really talking to God,
and waiting for Him to answer.
Maybe even getting a bit radical and getting down on my knees, too. lol


And that's Step One.

So, as you can see I had my own idea about what my One Word quest was gonna be like.
But, there's no heavenly GPS. And that's truly OK.

And.............

Oh my gosh! As I was trying to figure out how to wrap this up I checked into Facebook.
Here is what I saw at the top of my FB page - a post by Proverbs 31 Ministries

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ''This is the way; walk in it" Isaiah 30:21


I mean how cool is that!?


I just love it when this kind of thing happens!{with God there aren't any coincidences} 

It's my Step One GPS thingy. *wink*


It's what I've been learning and Isaiah knew. When I take the time to pray and read my Bible I'll hear His voice speak to my heart and know which way I should go.


Hey friend - I can't wait to share Step Two with you!




I'm linking up with Melanie over at Only A Breath today as we all share our One Word updates.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! :) I saw you in Melanie's linky. It's rather ironic, because I'm actually considering an Etsy shop too! This year my word is "Dream" and I'm working on following my dreams, even when they scare me. Like getting a second ear piercing or starting a garden... or an Etsy shop.

    But anyway. I don't know you or what God has for you this year of following, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to visit anytime - you're always welcome here.