Monday, February 18, 2013

FOLLOW : Step Two ~ What Defines You?


Hey there friend!

The first Sunday of the New Year we had a guest musician at our church. He played the saxophone in a jazzy/bluesy sort of way.

I  LOVED it!!

After playing the first song he made a point of telling us that his saxophone, his talent, his music did not define him. What defined him was who he was in Christ.

Wow! That spoke to me somewhere deep inside.

And it......
... wasn't really an "Amen brother"
.... nor was it an "Ouch"
.... it was more like an "Aha"

Even though I was saved as a teenager (that's a loooong time ago folks) and I've always tried to live my life to be a light for Jesus, that simple statement really spoke to my heart.

For so many years what defined me - as in gave me joy, purpose and fulfillment - was being T.J. and Kyle's mom. Those were the best years of my life!

That time is over and has been over for a number of years. T.J. is married to a wonderful gal and is a Youth Pastor. Thankfully TJ and his wonderful wife live less than an hour away.  Kyle lives in heaven with Jesus.


So that leaves me with ...????? 


I'm thinking that in order to follow I need to go back to the starting line.

At first I thought this One Word journey was gonna be all about finding what my new purpose is. To know  how to reach my goals and achieve my dreams. To know how to get that same feeling of fulfillment that I had as a mom to my two boys.

I see now, at least to begin, it's not going to be about that at all.


It's not a heavenly GPS. {Step One}


Nope. This journey is about so much more and it's so much deeper.

It's not about what gives me purpose. It's about Who. 

I became more sure of this a few days later as I  read my daily Bible devotional.
The main verse for this particular day was written by Paul to the Galatians. 

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20


That's it! Of course!


That's what should define me. That's where I need to start as I seek to follow and figure out this stage of my life.

First and foremost it's that Christ lives in me. My life is to be lived by faith in Jesus. He loved me and gave Himself for me.

So my friend, may I ask you - what defines you? Or better yet - Who?


 *Today I'm linking up with Melanie's One Word party over at Only A Breath. You may want to visit and if you have a blog link-up, too.

2 comments:

  1. I am similar to you in the thought that this One Word journey is constantly moving me to dig deeper into the WHO I am being defined by! Blessings and prayers as you follow Christ and become more like Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie's REPLY ~ Thank you Sheri!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to visit anytime - you're always welcome here.