Sunday, February 21, 2010

Finishing the Challenge

If you have read my very first post you know I never thought I'd find myself in "blogland". Well, maybe as a happy observer, but not as a participant.

Now, even more of a surprise, I have recently completed a 21-day challenge in "blogland" led by Holley Gerth. The series was titled "The Rest of Your Story". Holley led us through eleven days of preparation before we even got started with the challenge. There was so much discussed, thought about, discovered and learned that I can't begin to describe it all here. Be assured it was truly a blessing and each day I looked forward to what the next challenge would be.

By the end of our challenge we were to have written a personal story statement. This is like a mission statement, but since God is the author of our lives the word story makes more sense. The simple formula Holley gave us was: To bring + (what) + (who) + (how)

I keep struggling with this task. So far all I have is: To help restore hope and joy to those who are hurting and discouraged by ....... hmmmm.....

I have had a very hard time figuring out that last part. Maybe it's because of that perfectionist tendency I have that I feel it needs to be worded just right. Maybe I am over thinking something that's simple.

So, as I reread the lists of strengths and skills from the challenge, the word encourage keeps coming up. Ok, maybe that's what I'm looking for. I do love to send notes and cards of encouragement to someone who is having a hard time, is sad or discouraged. More than once I've given an encouraging word to the new cashier at the store when I see them struggling. Even as a child I wanted to help and encourage others. I remember encouraging a classmate in kindergarten (a really long time ago) who was too afraid to say "here" when the teacher called the roll call. I talked to him and told him it really wasn't so scary to say that one word when the teacher called his name.

I believe I'm onto something here. Let me try it again - To help restore hope and joy to those who are hurting and discouraged by encouraging them ..... hmmm...

Stuck again! Ok, so back to the list and ideas and let's try this one more time - To help restore hope and joy to those who are hurting and discouraged by encouraging them with acts and words of kindness.

Whew! I did it! Ummm..... now how do I put this into practice in my life's story? I'm not totally sure. I guess I'll just keep being the me that God created me to be. Because Jesus is the author and He's writing my story.

BTW ~ you can visit Holley Gerth at: Heart to Heart with Holley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to visit anytime - you're always welcome here.